Founded in 1926, Wooster School is a progressive co-educational 4-12 college preparatory day school with an enrollment of approximately 350 students, and a regional leader in student-centered education. The School is located in Danbury, Connecticut. By design and mission, it educates a student population diverse in academic ability, socioeconomic background, religious affinity, and race and ethnicity. Wooster is a member of the Connecticut Association of Independent Schools and the National Association of Independent Schools.
While Wooster’s traditions of self-help and relationship-building have long been recognized as strengths, our more recent commitment to innovative approaches to teaching and learning are making us a leader in the independent school world. We are committed to a learner-centered environment for our students, and to exploring the full potential of competency-based and personalized teaching and learning.
Wooster School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we provide a work environment that welcomes diversity. In addition to a competitive salary, employees receive retirement, health insurance, tuition remission, short and long term disability and life insurance benefits.
All employees are subject to a criminal background check before any contractual offer is final.
Under general supervision of the Chief Financial Officer and/or the Head of Schools, the incumbent of this position is responsible for administering personnel activities for all employees including all educators, staff, coaches, tutors, substitute teachers and administrators. Responsibilities include but are not limited to recruitment and placement; employee relations; employee investigations, employee benefits and the procedures and records necessary to comply with Department of Labor, State of Connecticut and or Federal regulations. Does related work as required.
Responsibilities (Illustrative Only)
- Organizes and assists in the recruitment and interviewing of employees which may include establishing written procedures for recruitment of new staff, promotion and reassignment processes; overseeing background and reference checks; and providing training and guidance to members of interview committees;
- Screens resumes submitted in response to job postings and recommends candidates for interview;
- Interprets Human Resources rules and regulations to staff;
- Provides assistance and advice concerning recruiting, staffing, employee relations, etc. to various departments;
- Reviews organization of the departments to provide advice on personnel needs;
- Maintains and implements employee benefits programs, including but not limited to overseeing enrollment and maintains census data related to all benefits programs;
- Establishes and conducts employee orientation and training programs as related to mandated training and other trainings;
- Prepares organizational charts of the various departments in the School;
- Collects salary information paid by other organizations as well as benefit packages offered by other organizations to help ensure that our salaries and benefits are competitive;
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resources federal and state requirements, conducting investigations, maintaining records, representing the school district at hearings (unemployment and/or other);
- Maintains management guidelines by preparing, updating and recommending human resources policies and procedures;
- Conducts special studies on employee benefits, working conditions, and methods of work as requested and directed;
- Prepares, distributes and collects all offer letters for all employees;
- Conducts investigations (with the assistance of others such as Deans and/or Division heads when students are involved) related to employee misconduct (such as but not limited to harassment and/or sexual misconduct, lack of productivity, noncompliance with expectations, rules and/or regulations) and prepares recommendations for action (no action necessary, discipline, termination) related to said misconduct;
- Maintains personnel files in accordance with best practice;
- Administers leaves of absence (FMLA, other), and oversees and establishes compliance, processes and procedures for maintaining accurate records of sick leave, vacation leave, etc;
- Maintains an accurate up to date list of every employee, their position, benefits and their rate of pay at all times;
- Uses computer applications or other automated systems such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software in performing work assignments;
- Other responsibilities as determined to be related to Human Resources and Personnel functions.
Good knowledge of the principles and practices of personnel administration; good knowledge of the principles of school administration; good knowledge of interviewing techniques; ability to use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail and database software; initiative and judgment in the conduct of studies and analysis; courtesy; tact.
Salary & Benefits
This is a part-time position. Salaries are competitive with local independent schools.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Michael D. Jumper, Chief Financial Officer
Wooster School is looking for substitute teachers with teacher training and experience with students in grades 4th through 12th. Please send resumes and letter of interest to Mary Beth Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org.